I am a bit short on time therefore I will just write a few bullet points on this topic.
First, there is not a single way to measure success - in fact there are several KPIs who qualify as success for an App:
- Sales and Revenue
- User Reviews
- Marketing Channel
- User Behaviour / Analytics
- Competition Monitoring
For each of these KPIs there are several tools who can do the Job:
1. Sales and Revenue
- You could use iTunes Connect from Apple but we all know this sucks
- I am currently using AppViz which works fine and even includes User Reviews and Integration with http://www.applyzer.com/ for Competition Information
- Just discovered http://www.tapmetrics.com which also does the Sales & Revenue-Tracking pretty well and includes User Analytics Data as well .. thinking about testing it out
2. User Reviews
- Just check out your App on the AppStore
- or use AppViz (see above)
3. Marketing Channel
- If you want to know where you get your users from (performance of marketing channels) try out http://www.apprupt.com/ - havent checked it out but seems to be the best choice out there.
4. User Behaviour / Analytics
5. Competition Monitoring
- Want to check out your competition? Dont want to look into the Top 100 everyday manually? The best service I found so far is http://www.applyzer.com/ however it is not free.
Hope this first list helps .. if you have any more tipps please just comment - thanks!